Monday, July 27, 2009

My body, my choice (Updated)

Update: Please go here and sign a petition to keep our health care out of government hands

This post will be about health care, truly an argument about my body versus another (say the tiny baby growing inside a woman's body). I wrote that title not knowing a recent article had the same. It covers a topic often overlooked - our own responsibility and "self-reliance" when it comes to health care.

Consequences of a government-run program are also often overlooked, which include doctor shortage, long lines, waiting lists, lower-level of care, denial of care, denial of senior-care, denial of certain medications, etc. Plus, it puts our country at risk financially. Oh, and death may occur.

Not to mention the eventual decrease in the number of medications out there. The United States accounts for almost half of the global pharmaceutical market. Why would this continue under a government-run (IE non-capitalist) system?

Another a look at Canada:

...report says that from 1997 until 2005 quality was not existent in
providing health care. She added that managers put a “
far greater
emphasis on financial management than on protecting the public
interest
.”


Bold emphasis added by me.

What Obama proposes as "cost control" is really reduction in spending. For example, if I set up a budget in my home of how I much is spent on milk and I need to control costs, what do I do? I reduce the milk consumed (limit availability) or I buy cheaper milk (lower quality).

A real-life health care example of cost-control: limiting the number of test strips a diabetic uses in a day. My husband Roscoe recently had an A1C of 5.9. This rocks! He does it by watching what he eats, exercising 6 days a week, and keeping very close tabs on his blood sugar levels. The last part is done partly by checking his blood sugar levels all the time, often a couple times an hour. He obviously uses a lot of test strips to do so. Well, what if he was only limited to 5 per day because some person working for the government deems it as enough because anymore than 5 is too expensive? Suddenly part of what works for this diabetic is tossed aside due to cost controls.

If you have a few minutes (20 actually) please watch this video of Stephen Crowder. He takes the cameras to Canada to find out how their health care runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!
Thank you for your comment!