Tuesday, September 1, 2009

US health care system at it's best

I could not imagine being forced to give birth in a corridor because there were no beds available at the hospital. Yes, a home birth is ideal and would thus remove the possibility of a corridor birth from ever happening, but home birth is, at best, a dream for most women. Even me, someone who used to desire such a thing.

Why did I change my mind? Because of the delivery of my son Rooster. Everything went fairly smooth throughout the 27.75 hours of labor; not exactly how I wanted it to occur (ha, when does that happen...) but we got to the delivery stage in good condition. Once he was born (~3 hours after pushing) he had an apgar score of 3 - very blue, not really breathing and had little muscle tone. He was rushed to the baby area as NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) nurses and doctor rushed to his side. While 4-5 people were working on him, 2 doctors (one resident and one supervisor) plus 1-2 nurses were working on me. My uterus would not stop bleeding and was having trouble contracting after the placental birth. Thanks to all these wonderful people (at least 7-9) my son and I made it through this stage of birth just fine. He was placed in my arms within 10 minutes with a score of 6 and we both made a full recovery.

It's times like this that I thank God that I have access to outstanding medical care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!
Thank you for your comment!