Monday, June 22, 2009

Here is the door

Bye, bye vegetarianism, hello omnivorism.

I prepared some bison meat for Roscoe's birthday dinner the other night. My husband proceeded to imitate the scene from Dances with Wolves for Rooster's benefit. Tatanka, tatanka? Tatanka! Very amusing.

The bison was quite delicious I must admit. It didn't take very long at all to prepare. I sauteed a few patties in some olive oil on the stove top, plus additional time in the microwave (ahem, a wee bit bloody on the inside still). I didn't want to over cook them because I guess it's easy to do that with bison meat.

I also made some chicken a couple of nights last week. Pretty simple when you have a silicone steam cooker from Curves (thanks to my mother in law!) that can be popped into the microwave and done within 10 min. Look for something similar at Amazon, Wal-Mart or William Sonoma. A must have for moms who need to make a very quick dinner. It came with recipes and cooking instructions for chicken, salmon, shrimp and white fish. I'm wondering if red meat can be prepared too...?

This is how I prepared the chicken on night one:

Olive oil to coat bottom
8 oz raw chicken brushed with olive oil and topped with cilantro, black pepper & ginger powder
2 cups frozen veggies
1 TBSP lime juice
Cook in steamer on high for ~8 minutes or until chicken is at 165-170 degrees

And to wrap up a week of new experiences I prepared some salmon on Saturday for an early father's day celebration. It turned out perfect! Quite an achievement for cooking it for the first time . I put the salmon in tin foil with olive oil, parsley and cilantro and baked it at 375 for 20 minutes and then broiled it for 1 minute. Easy. I also made some tabbouleh salad for a side dish, which was much more time consuming with all the mincing and chopping, but worth it.

So far, so good with adding meat to our diet. I am going to be very picky with the type and quality of my meat consumption though. It's not going to be a on the daily menu for sure but I do like the idea (and Roscoe digs it too!) of additional options. Especially additional options with high nutritional value.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!
Thank you for your comment!