Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Success in baking

I'm not an expert like my good friend V but I do really, really enjoy baking. After seeing the ingredients (wheat!) and price (really?!) for commercial teething biscuits I decided to bake Rooster some from scratch. I found a basic recipe from several different sites:

3 TBSP oil (I used olive oil)
1 cup rice cereal (can be flavored, IE banana)
1 cup flour (I used brown rice flour)
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon (I added this to the recipe for flavor and to mask the taste of olive oil)
ice cold water

Mix dry ingredients, add oil, and start with 1/4 cup water. Add more water until dough is sticky (very sticky!) and pulls away from the sides. Roll out (or press with fingers like I did) to 1/4" thickness, cut into desired shapes, place on cookie sheet and bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes (I kept adding more time, probably about 20 minutes total - keep checking on them because you definitely want them cooked through so they don't break easily).

After they completely cooled I gave one to Rooster. He kinda looked at it and then looked at me, looked at it again and did nothing. So I grabbed one myself and starting mouthing it. He's a smart cookie and did the same thing. And continued slobbering all over it for the next 25 minutes. A success!

I do have to say that despite the simple ingredients these biscuits are quite tasty. But then I do love, love, love cinnamon!

Oh, and a warning: these are very, very messy. I would suggest having baby wear only a diaper and definitely have him/her in a high chair (or whatever you use). The goop will be everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!
Thank you for your comment!