Thursday, January 7, 2010

Kids and talking - updated

I'm a rather quiet person but have made it a point to talk to and with my son as often as possible; sometimes to the point of sounding silly to myself. But I know this is good for him as he learns how to communicate, speak and identify the world around him.

I came across an article titled Children reaching age 3 without being able to say a word, survey finds with concern. After reading it I found a disturbing sentence within it:

The survey of more than 1,000 parents found that a child’s background was not a factor in how quickly they learnt to talk. Working parents who put their babies in day care are just as likely to have a child whose speech develops late
as those who leave their baby in front of the television.

LOL. Those are the only two choices? Really? All this time as a housewife and mom I have been interacting with Rooster by talking with him, playing games, reading, rough-housing, following him around the house as he does laps, etc. and I could have instead just plopped him down in front of the TV.

Those silly Brits.

Update: A fellow Dr. Laura reader/listener notices the same.

original post 01/03/10 at 7:40 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!
Thank you for your comment!